Monday, September 13, 2010

I Had A Dream

A week or so back I got very involved in my family tree project and I guess I was not sleeping well. I was remembering my childhood at the age of eight years when I first started genealogy in school. My father Donald Howie had an old box of photos from his father William Rider Howie. I looked through all those old black and white photos and tin type photos of days gone. I also ran across some old newspaper clippings of obituaries. One of them was from a newspaper in Montreal Canada. It read to my memory "Montreal's oldest living resident Jane Howie passed away". It was a typical obituary for the day. It described her life, her faith in God and her family. At that time I had asked my dad about her, however he didn't know who she was. The clipping went back in the box never to be seen again, but not out of mind I guess. So the other night I awoke thinking about this clipping and if this could be a possible link to my roots. I quickly sent an email to my mother June Howie. Unfortunately she either had never seen the article that I was describing or had forgotten it. Since there is no one I could turn to so that I could get the information I needed, I had to begin a very thorough research. Using both ancestry.com and the internet I was successful. There is a very useful website called Interment. In 2005 they went to each cemetery and wrote down a description of the name, location and a database of each headstone which is still intact. Each of these data bases are too large to place in my blog. So just click on the link and search yourself. I have found Howie's, Lorimer's, and England's to mention a few. I was then able to have some more data to then look through Church records and Census records. Soon look for the Howie Page on the left to see what I found on Jane Howie.